Thursday, February 26, 2015

broken heart #2

I like to consider you my first real love. I was at least 6 inches taller than you, my friends teased me, but you were so sweet to me. I stuck a note in your locker telling you that I thought we should date. You asked me if I loved you. I said yes. We spent the next 6 months building up the courage to hold hands for the first time and another 4 months to kiss. We were more like close friends than anything, but I loved you all the same.

I was cruel to you, though. I broke up with you 5 times before our relationship finally ended. It was always for attention, always to see how you would react. Would you stop me from leaving? You always did. We were young and stupid. It wasn’t cool to be alone.

I had myself convinced that we would be together forever, but 11 months in I told your little brother to mind his own damn business, and your mom said we couldn’t talk anymore. You told me it was over.

Just like that, I didn’t speak to you again until my sophomore year of high school. I sat behind you in World History. You were terrified I was still in love. More than anything I just liked pretending to still love you because I knew it bothered you.


You’re taller than me now. You’re going to a great, big university and publishing all sorts of medical studies. You were always brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment