Wednesday, February 25, 2015

broken heart #1

We went to elementary school together. As far as second graders go, you weren’t anything special. You weren’t tall or unusually cute, but you liked me. That counted for something. There were three of us that you chased around the schoolyard. I’m the jealous type, but you always told me you liked me best.

You probably told my girlfriends that, too, but when you’re in second grade you don’t expect little boys to sell you lies when they’re kissing you on the hand. You were sly even back then.

If I had a diary, it was filled with stories about you. Always stories about you chasing me, and how much I hated you, but we all know I was playing hard to get.

In third grade our love came to an abrupt end. You got held back. I thought you were gone from my life forever. I was 18, just out of high school when I finally saw you again. I was working when you ran up to hug me. You told me you were in love with a girl. You told me you were in a heavy metal band. You asked me if I’d come watch you guys play. I smiled.

1 comment: